I had been working on a better set of sleeves for three days straight. Redrafting the pattern, cutting and sewing. When they were finished they turned out to be worse than the original sleeves and I had run out of fabric. I got so frustrated that I decided to put the coat aside for a couple of months, it doesn't have to be finished until next spring/early summer, and to do something simple. Something that I could almost do with my eyes closed. Doing crochet always calms my mind and I had some left over yarn. I have never been to fond of granny squares. Being from the 70's when they where very much in fashion. I always have the feeling that they are old fashioned and I really connect them to grannies doing crochet. On the other had I've being playing around with making something for christmas for a couple of years and our christmas decorations are always old fashioned, kitschy and corny. ;-)
You can find the pattern for the squares here: Granny Square Christmas Stocking by Maggie Weldon on Ravelry.
Twenty squares later I am out of yarn and the frustration has subsided. The store only has these particular colors of this yarn (Zeeman Sparkle) in stock during the winter so I can't continue. It doesn't really matter, it did the trick. If they become available again maybe I'll make more and make a plaid out of it. If not it will become the front of a pillow case. Either way I am feeling better and refreshed.
For now I'll stick to repairing or slightly altering the Victorian costumes I have. So that I (and two of my friends) at least have something to wear at the Dickensfestijn in Deventer. This year I have decided to wear a combination of two 1885's bustle costumes. I really love the black tail bodice I made last year but I don't want to wear all black. So I'll wear it with my red velvet bustle skirt and my new hat. It will almost be like wearing a new costume. Even better is the fact that my son thinks the color combination black-red is badass and that I look fierce in it! If there is any time left I'll make a new costume piece for one of us. First I'll have to make sure we can wear anything at all!
Tuesday, 8 September 2015
Thursday, 3 September 2015
Belle Epoque Jacket
When the Antwerpen Zoo held their Belle Epoque picnic I really wanted to go but I didn't have the time. Other members of our 19th century living history group "De Gracieuse" did attend.
Their wonderful photographs and stories inspired me to start working on a Belle Epoque jacket.
This is the pattern I am working with; Past Patterns #113, 1899-1910 Spectator Jacket.
I think the pattern also can be used for slightly earlier costumes.
The heads of the leg-o-mutton sleeves ended up being quite large
and look a lot like the jacket in this picture.
A traveling suit, coat, and skirt,
designed by Jacques Doucet c. 1892-97.
And it has a pleat in the back like this woollen Cycling Suit
made by Trouville in 1896
I have been working on it during our summer vacation and had hoped to be finished by now
but the sleeves turned out to wide and to long.
So I will take them out, make changes to the pattern pieces and make new sleeves.
Geplaatst door Esther op 09:51 2 comments:
Labels: costumes, Edwardian, historical costumes
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)