St James Church, Avebury
The church of Avebury Saint James is situated on a plot of land just outside the main Avebury complex, near to the Western entrance/exit. The church has undergone several periods of construction, the earliest evidence for which dates to the Anglo-Saxon/pre-Norman period and one estimate dates it to approx. 1000 A.D. The church was altered by the Normans who made several prominent changes to the design of the building, most notably the south doorway with its beautifully carved arch. It is also the Normans who mention the first recorded priest to the church, Rainbold.
Quote from http://freespace.virgin.net/abw.mork/St_James.htm
Avebury Stone cirkle