Sunday, 26 April 2009

Elf fantasy fair 2009

These photo's where taken at the Elf Fantasy fair at the Castle Haarzuilen.

I have been working very hard to get my new ballgown bodice finished. All the beadwork that I have used on the front and back is antique, some even victorian. It was a lot of working sewing it on and repairing it, but I think it was worth the effort.

I met several ladies who had made lovely victorian costumes and some of them used the patterns from Truly Victorian. This lady was kind enough to have her picture taken with me.

Ofcourse more information about this ballgown version will be added to my Victorian Wardrobe and my Historical Wardrobe.

Monday, 6 April 2009

Ball Gown Bodice

The shawl project has had several problems mainly with the tension of my warp threads and my cat chewing on a lot of them so that they had to be replaced. It left me terribly demotivated, so I haven't done anything in quite a while.

But I have kept my hands busy. I am making a red velvet ballgown bodice to go with my 1885's bustle skirt. I would like to wear it to the Elf Fantasy Fair, but I am not sure if it will be finished in time. I would like to make it properly instead of rushing things.

The pattern is from Truly Victorian, TV460 1885 Cuirass Bodice. I am making the Ball Gown Bodice option this time. The fabrics I used for my wash overskirt come I have also used for the small pouf sleeves. The description calls for a separte lining to put into it. I have seen several orignal pieces where the outside fabric, the interlining and the lining had been threated as one. As I always have problems getting my lining in neatly I thougth I'd try this for a change. To finish the seams neatly I have sewn satin band over it.

Here you can cleary see the three stages of a seam.
(l) seam with boning in casing, (m) finished seam,(r) seam with zigzag finish and sewn flat.

This is how far it is at this moment.

All boning has been sewn in and only three seams need to be finished with the red satin band. The top of the bodice is to wide and has to be taken in. Alas this also alters the neckline which is already in place. I would prefer to close the bodice with hook and eyes, but I am not sure if it's going to work. If it doesn't work, I hope to be able to use original victorian metal and horn buttons that I have purchased on Ebay.

Also on Ebay I purchased this amazing victorian beadwork. I think it will look amazing on the red velvet.