Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Fabric for 1909 ladies coat costume

I have been searching all winter for fabric to make my ladies coat costume from. But everything here seems to be grey, black and dark blue. Which is not what I am looking for. While browsing Ebay, I found this lovely medium weight plum (dark purple) colored wool fabric.

Which I bought, eventhough I am broke at this moment, it was just too perfect! Ofcourse it will take a while before it's here, probably about 6-8 weeks, enough time to make a mock-up version of the skirt and maybe do some viking or medieval costuming. The 17th of april will be our first viking re-enactment day in the Archeon, we will be guests of the Girbeson family

Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Progress on the 1909 Ladies Coat

After whipstitching the sleeves in place, by hand. I have dediced that this blue wool version, of the 1909 Ladies Coat, will have to serve as the mock-up model. The wool fabric that I have used, is simply to stiff and thick to ever work as a coat. The good news is that I don't think it's that bad of a solution as the fabric cost be something around €3,- in a thrift shop.
On the other hand the bad news is that I will have to look for a new wool fabric, and everything that is available at the moment is grey or black. While I am looking for purple, red or royal blue.

Spring is here

Finally spring is here and all of a sudden I have started things up again! Most of it is behind the scenes, at least for now. I have decided that I want to change my Re-enactors Household website drastically. It is in desperate need of updating and trimming down. I have several website, too many websites if I am honest, and they all need to be streamlined, in order for me to be able to maintain them. Also I want a totally different look for the Re-enactors Household Website.

My husband pinned the sleeves of my 1909 coat in yesterday and hopefully I will have the time to sew them in today! So there is also a little progress in that project!

Sunday, 7 March 2010

Not much happening here

As you'll probably all have noticed, it's been a while since my last post. There is not much to tell at this moment. My 1909 coat is hanging unfinished in the closet. The head of the sleeves are too big, and the collar is too small.So some remodelling has to be done, uncertain of how to make the necassary changes,I hung the coat in the closet. Awaiting inspiration and courage.

With my inspiration and creativity at an all-time-low, I haven't started with another project. I guess I am just waiting for spring to start...