Monday, 28 January 2013

Purple Progress!

The dress still needs to be hemmed and the zipper sewn in, but I'd like to alter the neckline a little first. The dress is a mix of two patterns. It has the bodice of Butterick B5556, but the neckline and skirt of Butterick B5605. It doesn't look like much on a clothes hanger, I wouldn't look at it twice if it was hanging in a store, but I am really happy about how it looks when I am wearing it.

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Steampunk confession; back to the drawing board.

Sometimes I start on a costume but I just can't be bothered to finish it. It doesn't happen often, but if it does it's a clear sign that I am not on the right track. This is the case with my steampunk outfit, remember the beige cotton Edwardian Walking Skirt and the white cotton Edwardian blouse? I found out that I really love the Edwardian style, on someone else that is....

This was the kind of look I was aiming at, available at steampunkemporium

I just doesn't feel like me, it frankly isn't divaesque enough to really appeal to me or  inspire me. With our first chance to do steampunk coming up fast I need to come up with a plan even faster! As I love my victorian bustle outfit it will be most  likely something like that. I have plenty ideas but it's hard to stick to one.

The next problem is not having much time right now. My son goes to school for only half days because he suffers from lyme disease, he has been sick for over 7 months now. And two weeks ago my husband suffered a knee injury so he's been home since then as well. Both my men need plenty of love, care and doctor's/hospital visits. So there hasn't been much time left for costuming. Hopefully things will get better soon.

Progress on my 50's style purple woollen dress is therefore slow but I got really lucky. The bodice did fit the skirt without any problems. As the are both from different patterns, but from the same pattern range (butterick retro 50's style), I had hope it would work. Currently I am working on the lining.

The steampunk outfit not only has to be easy and fast but also affordable. So'll be probably use an existing costume or at least a pattern and fabric I've already own and steampunk it with some bought steampunk "brassy" bits. The infamous "just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk" start.

But at least it's a start !

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Update: purple 50's dress

After several failed attempts I gave up on trying to make the bodice of the Butterick B5605 retro pattern work. Apparently there are people out there who can make it work but alas I am just not one of them.
Lucky enough for me I had quite some fabric left, so I decided  to make the bodice of another Butterick 50's dress, pattern B5556.
I think it is a pity that is less fitted than the original bodice, which is basically a princes seam and I know I'll probably run into some trouble when sewing on the skirt, but  at least the chance I'll end up with a dress is a little bit higher....

As it is finally winter outside I could use a nice warm woollen winter dress!

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Interesting articles about Viking Women.

Just a short note about two articles that I found really interesting. Most of you are probably aware of them but in case you have missed them. And for myself for future reference.

Interesting article by Martin Rundkvist at Aardvarchaeology about the Valkyrie Figurine from Harby.


Don't underestimate Viking Women (I never do...)

Saturday, 5 January 2013

Puzzling with pattern pieces.

Pattern pieces for the back

I suppose this it is, sort of.... This was the only thing I could make of it, but I must say that I am not happy with the way it looks. I have only pinned the pieces of the back together but the front has been sewn and it doesn't look much better!

I have some fabric left and I hope it's enough to cut a totally different bodice. But no sewing today because  we are going to put all the christmas decorations in boxes and turn our house back to normal.

Thursday, 3 January 2013

Working on a purple woollen 50's style dress

I have started working on a purple woollen 50's style dress a couple of weeks ago. Progress alas is very slow. I have only managed to cut out the pattern pieces out of the fabric.

The pattern is Butterick retro pattern B5605.

As it is intended as an autumn/winter dress I choose version A and drafted out the gap in the back. I have started on putting the front of bodice together but it's rather difficult. It's almost like the piceces don't fit. It's kinda funny how I can make victorian costumes without too much trouble and manage to find it hard to make a "normal" dress.