Friday, 30 July 2010

Purchased Patterns

Recently I purchased these two patterns on Ebay.

Vintage 1940s/1950s, FRENCH KNICKERS & SLIP LINGERIE Sewing Pattern,'Style' No. 4668.

If this pattern arrives on time, I will make silk french knickers. To wear under my 1950's halter summer dress. This pattern is even accompanied by the original receipt of purchase form 'Barkers' of Kensington. London. Purchase date was 1950.

This is a reproduction of a vintage sewing pattern for a 1920s deco style bra that was in the magazine "Mon Ouvrage" printed in October 1927.

I am thinking about making a 1920's/1930's somewhere in the future and this provides a little bit more bust support than the style of underwear usually worn. This top might also be usefull for wearing with the Edwardian underbust corset that I intend to make for the Edwardian Costume that I am working on.

A French ad from 1910.

detail image of bra:

A Dutch ad from 1909.

Thursday, 22 July 2010

Classic beauties

A lovely hommage to classic hollywood beauties... and a great version of a wonderfull song as well.

The 1950's halter dress is almost finished. This was the first time I had to sew a zipper in. I've always avoided those things, but it turned out great, especially considering it's my first one. A small alteration has to be made to the bodice of the dress for a better fit.

Mock-up model for the bodice, notice the gapping at the sides. I already made some alterations, like using a smaller size for the cups, and it looks better but the fit still isn't perfect.

A swatch of the fabric, I have used for the dress, it is red cotton with tiny white dots.

Friday, 16 July 2010

Old Postcard

This was one, out of a series of old postcards, featured in our local newspaper. I just liked the image and I wanted to share it.

Wednesday, 14 July 2010


Today, my son and I recieved this newspaper clipping, from friends of husbands parents. Who live in Wijk Bij Duurstede. A big thank you to Marinus en Gerda!

Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Edwardian Walking Skirt Finished

Making and sewing the silk strips on the fabric took almost as much time as sewing the entire skirt! Next time I would cut the strips on the bias of the fabric, but this time I didn't have enough, of the quite expensive, aubergine/prune colored duponi silk, to do that.

With this finished, it is now time to start working on the red 1950's halter dress. The rest of this walking costume, the coat, blouse, hat and underwear, will have to wait a little while.

Friday, 9 July 2010

A Slower Pace

It is tropical warm here, in the Netherlands, at this moment, and it has been so for days, almost weeks. Costuming, like my daily live, is going at a much slower pace.

The hem on my Edwardian skirt has been done. I only need to make and sew on the three strips of decorative fabric on the bottom of the dress. Like on the original they are not going to be gathered or pleated, just smooth strips. At this moment I have no clue on how to make them fit and lie perfectly flat. That is going to be a challenge.

Meanwhile, I've purchased the blonde bombshell pattern by Folkwear.

For those who are not fimiliar with it, it is a 1950's style halter dress. Much like the one Marilyn Monroe wore in the movie Seven years Itch.

We will be attending Castlefest as visitors, a medieval/fantasy event, on the 8th of August. And since my hair has been cut, my husband has been teasing me that I remind him of Marilyn Monroe. I personally think that his imagination is running wild from the heat, but I also think it is kind of sweet...

So when the subject of what outfit/costume to wear to castlefest. He dared me to make the (in)famous halterdress. Being a brunette and not to fond of white clothing, I decided that I am going to make it in red. That is so much more my color!

Although, I am no Marilyn Monroe or Kelly LeBrock...

I hope the end result will be pleasing... ;-)and I'll make sure to stay away from fans and subways!

But at least I am sure of one fan, my husband!