Friday, 29 May 2009

Victorian Style Boots

I have purchased black leather replica Victorian boots on Marktplaats.
They just came in today and I am really happy with them, they look amazing (the pictures really don't do them justice) and they fit perfectly ! I can't wait to wear them with my Victorian or Edwardian outfit.

Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Progress report

Here are two picures of the second thorsbjerg style trousers I made for my son. The fabric is wool dyed with walnuthusk and linend with linnen.



The simple birka style wool overtunic is dyed with madder, the hedeby style wool suspended dress is dyed with unionskins and complety handsewn with silk thread.

I've already sewn a tabletwoven band to my suspended dress but I am still unsure wheter or not to sew this tabletwoven band to my tunic.

Is this color scheme subtle ton-sur-ton or too subtle?

Making a facing on a keyhole neckline

A couple of weeks ago I got an question by e-mail (sorry Lois I am notoriously slow in answering my email) asking how I make my neckhole. I couldn't explain in words so here is my attempt with pictures. I hope this is helpful.

keyhole neckline in tunic.

Measure by laying the liningfabric (linnen,silk or wool) into the garment and draw the opening with chalk.

Add a couple of centimeters to make outside of the lining and cut.

Pin to the outside of the costume

Sew and zigzag, turn the lining in, covering the seam and edge.

Now you are working on the inside of the garment.

Fold raw edges in and sew by hand, be careful to pick-up a minimal amount of threads of the garment fabric to make visibility on the outside minimal.

Friday, 15 May 2009

Anno 1009

From the 30th of April untill the 4th of May we where at an early Medieval event in the Historisch OpenluchtMuseum Eindhoven. We had a truly lovely time, speaking to old friends and making new ones.
Here you can find our pictures of this event.

I hadn't done much viking stuff during the winter, I had been rather busy with my Victorian Ballgown bodice. But I did manege, to make a pair thorsbjergen style (without feet), brown linnen, trousers for my son. You can see him showing them off in the picture. Together with the weld green woollen tunic, dyed by me, I made for him last year.

Going to this event inspired me to, finally (!) make a plant dyed outfit for myself.

The plan is to make a madder orange/red tunic with a union yellow apron dress on top off it. The tabletwoven bands are made by a friend, Fabiƫn, who is a member of Dorestad 825. Also I would like to make two new linnen underdresses, one with and one without sleeves. Hopefully the colorful top layers will be finished at the end of the month when we attend a viking event at the Archeon.

And this event I finally finished the pair of socks I was making for my friend Aud!

On the subject of my shawl project, well hmmm my cat ate a lot of my warp threads again and we still haven't had the time and courage to repair the damage.