Friday, 13 June 2014

Viking tunics

The Whitsun event at the Archeon was our first early/medieval event of this year. In preparing for it we got a lot of things done.

Our son needed a new linen undertunic and a new sleeveless summer tunic to keep him cool on hot days.

We also made him a pair of white linnen shorts, thorsbergen style only shorter. He had outgrown his shoes so my husband made a pair of his old shoes smaller.


I have been wearing the same undertunic for about ten years and I decided it was time for a new one. I've decided that my early medieval persona is from Haithabu/Hedeby, ca. 950. So when I update costume pieces they will have to be appropriate for that. My new undertunic is Haithabu style. I left out the front and back gore as undertunic where often less elaborate in style.

The color of my Haithabu based apron dress was refreshed by dyeing it again with union skins. The seams where reinforced with woollen plant dyed cords made by whipcording. I originally wanted to make 6 plait braids, 3 yellow and 3 red, liked the ones found on the original, but couldn't get it to work.

No comments: