Friday, 8 January 2010

Out with the old, bring in the new or new years resolutions

The start of a new year is always a good time to make up the balance, this was my To-Do-List for 2009.

Necessary

* fix the hem of my white linen veil. Done!
* make a pair of hosen for my son Myrddin Done!.
* make thorsberg type trousers (without feet)of hand dyed wool,for Myrddin. Done!
* nalebind socks for Audrey Done!
* nalebind socks for Petra Done!
* put together a victorian style boys outfit for Myrddin Done!
* answer all my e-mail! Well ahum different subject please. "blushes"

I would like to:

* weave my own square shawl with natural dyed wool tried and failed.
* make a Burgundian Gown
* make a "horned" headdress for my houppelande dress
* make a smocked 13th/14th century apron
* make a early viking hairnet in sprang
* make a new viking tunic for myself with hand dyed wool (madder)Done!
* make a new viking apron with hand dyed wool (unionskins)Done!
* make a victorian corset cover for my 1885's costume Done!
* make a better victorian petticoat for my 1885's costume
* make a victorian ballgown bodice for my 1885's costume Done!
* make a late victorian hat Done!
* make a blue silk cotehardie with tippets


Overall I didn't do too bad! I finished all the necessary projects and managed to some of other things as well. Obviously my personal interest this year was mainly victorian, so I did a lot of the victorian project.

To-do-list 2010

Necessary

* two pair of nalebound socks for Myrddin, this is a yearly recurring project.
* make a pair of hosen for Myrddin, this is also a yearly recurring project.
* dyed the pini (apron dress) of a friend, with a horrible modern chemical dye,the
fabric isn't suitable to dye with natural dyes.


I would like to

* Work on, not necessarily finish, my Edwardian Walking Costume project.
* make a "Burgundian" gown
* make a smocked 13th/14th century apron
* make additions for and to my 1880's bustle costume.
- adding ruffles to the hem of the skirt
- make a diner bodice
- make a new, style of, overskirt.
* gather information and ideas on how to make the early tudor/transition style dress I've been wanting to make for years.

I try to keep the plans and ideas for this year as realistic as possible. There are things in my personal live at this moment, that take a lot of my time and energy. Next to making costumes I have also an other hobby. Which is writing short stories, in Dutch, I publish them somewhere else on the internet.

My new years resolution for this year is: cleaning up and decluttering our house before starting a new costuming project. My household has three creative persons, who like to create things and cannot through anything away, in it. Our house is bursting at the seams, so it is time to through things away and if possible find new homes for others. This will mean selling some costuming patterns, costumes, books, jewellery and accessories. Just to make room in my house and in my head for new projects.

1 comment:

cathyr19355 said...

I missed this post when you first put it up--but I remember most of the projects you completed! I'm glad you posted it.

I hope you'll post photos when you get the sprang hairnet done--I'm thinking of doing such a project myself.