Thursday, 17 March 2011
Edwardian Combination Underwear Progress Update
My Edwardian Combination Underwear Camisole with drawers is almost finished. I only have to sew buttonholes, add buttons and change the dark blue ribbon for a lighter blue. To match the color in the decoration and the ribbon used for the neckline and armholes. I am thinking about adding an application or embriodery to the camisole. The pattern has a lovely and simple pattern for it.
If I would make this garment again I would use a lighter and thinner cotton fabric. To improve the drape and the "dainty" effect. The period examples I usually find in the Netherlands are made from the same type of white cotton fabric that I have used. While it is practical because of it's strength and durability. It doesn't have the Edwardian charme that I love so much. But the stiffness of the fabric will improve with wash and wear. When I started planning this garment I couldn't find the muslin cotton fabric that I wanted, but a while ago I found a affordable Dutch supplier!