I haven't touched this project since the beginning of december, but I'd never gotten round to showing the progress I had made with it. So here it is.
The buckram base of the brim. Instead of having sharp creases it's now turned bubbly. I guess I don't have to tell you that this is bad.
BTW the diameter of the hat is a stunning 63 cm.
The top of the hat has turned out nicely. This is the buckram and wire base with mull.The next step will be covering it with black wool felt fabric.
I've got feathers to decorate my hat! And I am extremely happy with that! I was searching on the internet for a while and couldn't find anything affordable. When I found these in a local shop. There a three clusters of black feathers and one of purple feathers. These are more purple then they appear on the photograph, and the difference between the black and purple feathers is much less visible. Which is a good thing as I am not completly happy with how they look with the plum silk fabric I have for the bow and other hat decorations.
The brim is turning out to being quite a nightmare. I have ironed it flat with a hot steam iron and stuck it between two wooden boards. Hopefully it will be flat when it's dry.