Sunday, 24 October 2010

Adventures in hat making: Edwardian hat


Just some of the supplies and this is supposed to become a hat one day...


Today I cut the pattern pieces for my Edwardian hat and put aside the things I need to make the basic hat. Although I have a pattern for the hat, Universal Round Brimmed, Straight Sided Crown, Hatpattern by Lynn Mc Masters I felt a little overwhelmed while reading the instructions for the first time.

I have used one of her patterns before and the hat turned out just fine.
http://costumediaries.blogspot.com/2009/02/adventures-in-victorian-hat-making.html

I made a cardboard mock-up in the size required for the version I intended to make, but decided that it is too big for me. Even if Edwardian hat are supposed to be HUGE. I would like to be able to wear it without feeling ridiculous and without straining my neck, so I will make the brim smaller.


This is me, feeling rather silly



The idea is to make a black hat with purple details and black and purple decorations.


Some examples from the period, proving that an Edwardian hat is supposed to be HUGE.






But the size of the brim did vary a lot, so I guess I can make the brim a little bit smaller without the hat losing to much of it's character.

3 comments:

Harma said...

Ja, dat basismodel is wel erg onhandig groot, maar je ziet er zelf goed uit op die foto. Stralend.

Rosy said...

I just discovered your blog and I'm really impressed by the wonderful things that makes you! I will follow your adventures

Esther said...

Hi Rosy, Thank you for your compliments and for reading my blog!