Friday 15 August 2008

Costuming Book has arrived

Today my copy of an old dutch costuming book " Ik kan kostuumnaaien, translated I can sew costume's, written by Henriette J. van Wessem (ca. 1900) came in. The outside shows it's age, but I don't care it's the inside that counts.
For me it is very useful as I haven't had any education making costumes and there are a lot of sewing techniques that I need explained.

Also I really love the fact that my grandmother probably used this book when she learned making costumes as well as she was a seamstress.

Besides sewing techniques there is also a lot of information about what was appropriated to wear when. For example it tells the difference between morning wear, day wear and evening wear but also between mourning wear.

I really recommend this book to all Dutch seamstresses especially if you want to make Victorian and Edwardian clothing.





2 comments:

artgrrl said...

Could you please tell me what kind of patterns are in this book? What era? Like late 19th century or also early 20th?

Esther said...

It's a book about early 20th century sewing techniques. With some black and with diagrams of clothing from that era.